Recipe: Maple Bacon, Stilton & Avocado Burgers
What better way to welcome in the warmer weather than with a delicious homemade burger? My flatmate Lucy had wanted to make them for ages, so after we enjoyed an afternoon in the sun watching the Oxford vs Cambridge boat race, we got to work.
Disclaimer: The onion rings were not homemade… they are from Sainsbury’s. Sorry.
Serves 4 | Prep + cooking: 30 mins (approx.)
500g minced beef
2 large cloves of garlic
2 Sweet Potatoes
Block of Stilton (to taste)
8 Rashers of bacon
Small handful of coriander (for burgers)
Mixed herbs (for sweet potato fries)
Onion rings (optional… feel free to swap for a side salad)
4 Burger buns
1. Leaving the skin on, chop your sweet potatoes into thin strips (yes, just like fries) put them on a tin foil covered baking tray, sprinkle with olive oil and the mixed herbs, then place into the oven to start cooking
2. Dice the onion and place into a mixing bowl with the egg, minced beef, coriander and grated stilton (amount depends on how cheesy you like your burgers - we like them extra cheesy!)
3. Stir until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed
4. Roll out the mixture into balls and then flatten into a burger shape
5. Grill the burgers for 15 minutes, turning once to ensure they are cooked evenly + add the onion rings in with the fries
6. Whilst your burgers are cooking, mash the avocado in a bowl and set aside
7. Fry the bacon (2 x rashers per burger) in olive oil and a glug of maple syrup until crispy
8. Once everything is approx. 5 minutes away from being ready, toast your burger buns and spread the mashed avocado inside them evenly.
9. Assemble your burgers, add the sweet potato fries and onion rings on the side and enjoy!
This recipe is definitely easier to juggle when there are two of you, so we recommend you finding a volunteer to help you out. Lucy also managed to source out all of the ingredients for around £15 – so for four people, that’s pretty cheap!